by 2 November 04, 2013
Now that the excitement of Halloween has rushed past us in blur of orange and black, the true colors of winter begin to make themselves apparent. For me, that means red, irritated dry patches atop painfully pale, dull skin. Woof.
But fret not, for today’s Makeup Monday post is all about keeping your skin looking fresh, even-toned, and dewy during the cold winter months.
The problem: during the winter months there is far less humidity in the air. Because of this, the skin on your face (and hands, feet, etc) not only looks duller, but can also feel drier, tighter, and itchier. Plus, you’ll be running the heat in your home and in your car, a practice that zaps the moisture right out of your skin.
This is why it’s so very important to start caring for your skin now, before the icy days of winter have officially begun.
1) Preparation: Per usual, I’m going to start by recommending a scrub. It may seem counter-intuitive, but gently exfoliating away dead skin cells allows for new, healthy skin cells to surface.[caption id="attachment_4361" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Try this natural citrus scrub from Burt's Bees. Its gentle includes sweet almond oil, which moisturizes and softens skin. Get it here.[/caption]
2) Moisturize: This is something I cannot recommend enough. Whether your skin is dry, oily, or some combination of the two, you cannot avoid skin damage this winter without the twice-daily support of a face lotion. Be sure to coat your neck, too![caption id="attachment_4355" align="aligncenter" width="365"] My face lotion recommendation is always philosophy's 'hope in a jar.' it's just thick enough to protect against cold winter winds, without being greasy AT ALL. Get it here.[/caption]
3) Protect: Now that summer is over, at least you won’t have to fuss with putting on sunscreen every day, right? WRONG. So very, very wrong. Now more than ever, your skin is susceptible to damage caused by the winter sun (or even its reflection off of the snow). You should apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to your face, neck, chest, hands, and any other part of you that will be exposed.[caption id="attachment_4356" align="aligncenter" width="360"] I love this liquid sunscreen by Kiehl's. It's super light and can go on right before your makeup. One little bottle lasts forever. Get it here.[/caption]
4) Lotion up: As I’ve been hinting at above, it’s not just your face that needs protection from harsh winter dryness. Your entire body, H2T, needs to be moisturized daily to avoid tight, itchy all-over dryness. After your shower, make sure to slather on the body lotion, spending extra time on your heels and hands.[caption id="attachment_4351" align="aligncenter" width="369"] When it comes to body lotion, it's hard to beat Nivea's products. This moisturizer really does last all day, but without any heavy scents or greasy palms. Get it here.[/caption]
5) Hydrate: It seems pretty obvious that what we eat and drink can affect the appearance and condition of our skin. In the wintertime, it is SO IMPORTANT to occasionally put down the apple cider/ hot chocolate/ hotty toddy/ peppermint coffee and drink a big glass of water. Your skin will thank you![caption id="attachment_4359" align="aligncenter" width="601"] If a big cold glass of water just doesn't sound good in the freezing temperatures, try getting your H2O through hot teas. Here are some wonderful recipes![/caption]
As the winds get colder and the air gets drier, keep your skin looking as luvvly as possible. Have other questions for me or our other writers? Holler at us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org! And don’t forget to keep us posted on what you’re up to using Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Now go put on some moisturizer AND some lipstick.
by 11 October 27, 2016 0 Comments
by 11 October 19, 2016 0 Comments
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …
Darcy Apparel is a clothing and accessory boutique located in the beautiful and historic downtown Fayetteville, AR. Started in 2017 by Darcy Munoz, Darcy Apparel is a curation of unique and classic styles by emerging designers from around the U.S. and the world. Women of all ages and backgrounds can find something to love in the shop.
Now offering an in house, namesake clothing line: Darcy Collection. Designed and developed locally in Fayetteville, AR. First collection released in Fall 2019 consisted of three beautiful corduroy pieces made of natural fibers and ethically made garments manufactured in Dai yin China. Darcy's second collection is set to launch in Spring 2020 focusing on linen as the medium and clean, structured lines.
FW19 Darcy Collection
Intentionally Blank Shoes
Maison Louis Marie Candles and Fragrances
Le Bon Shoppe
And many more!
For Darcy Collection wholesale queries, please email email@example.com.